February 11, 2013

Adam Lempel and the Heartbeats - "Echo"

Baltimore's Adam Lempel, also of Weekends, is taking on a more classic vintage of rock on a new release as Adam Lempel and the Heartbeats. Standout track "Echo" features Amanda Glasser of The Silent Whys and Lempel employing a vocal canon, singing, imitating and cleverly repeating the simple phrase: "You go-go-go-go-go, I-I-I follow you around / follow you around / Like an echo-cho-cho-cho-cho, I-I-I follow you around / Follow you around." Over just a touch of organ, a clean-toned electric guitar, and a few emphatic snaps of snare, the songs builds and billows into a deeply hypnotic trance-like state that's as addictive as it is satisfyingly sweet.

A cassette release is due out on Friends Records. In the meantime, dig into Lempel's Bandcamp.

Adam Lempel and the Heartbeats - "Echo"

No comments:

Post a Comment