May 3, 2011

Repost: Everybody Taste Godfather :: Mr. Tom Petty

Everybody Taste is taking a short vacation until Thursday while I visit with my newborn niece. While I'm out, here's a collection of Tom Petty covers we posted back in 2010.

Tom Petty is my musical godfather—my Mr. Miyagi, Professor X, and Master Splinter. He opened the door to my musical tastes and education and, metaphorically at least, popped all my musical cherries: my first cassette tape, first CD, first concert, first used piece of vinyl, and even first song learned on the guitar ("American Girl"). To celebrate the legendary songwriter and his rich yet oft-under-appreciated catalogue, here's one of my all-time favorite Petty B-sides and a few fun covers.

Tom Petty - "Trailer" (from Playback)

Juston Stens & Seth Kauffman - "Don't Come Around Here No More"
Kings of Convenience - "Free Fallin'"
Dawn Landes - "I Won't Back Down"
The Gaslight Anthem - "American Girl"
Jeff Tweedy & Jay Bennett - "Listen To Her Heart"

Shit quality, but still fun:
Bon Iver - "Crawling Back To You"
Drive By Truckers  - "Rebels"
Bright Eyes & The Felice Brothers - "Walls"

Tom Petty

No comments:

Post a Comment